Friday, April 8, 2011

4 steps to your professional best | SmartBlog on Leadership

Whatever your line of work...if you want to lead in your field, if you want to stand out, make a difference, earn an excellent reputation and succeed financially, too, then rate your approach to work against the following practices. ...

- Cultivate a burning desire to excel in your field
- Hone your chops
- Develop your own point of view
- Build your body of work
I'm particularly interested in #3. For anyone who reads CSR often, this won't come as a shock. But the author expands on this point in a smart and compelling way, writing,
After you’ve had a good amount of experience, and you’ve learned what the experts in your field have to say, start to ask yourself this very powerful question: "What do I think about all this?" or "If I could flip a magic switch and make everything in my field/company/team different, what would I change?"
I think these are questions we should be asking ourselves on a regular basis, to make sure we're staying true to our personal visions and to help us refocus on our goals. It's easy to let a month or a year slip by without being conscious of where exactly we're headed. I think knowing this is a the 5th step in being your professional best.

Read the full article here.

No comments: