Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Summer (School) at the Movies (The Atlantic)

Just finished teaching summer school last week: it was a six-week course on race, class and gender, and I decided to look at these social identities through the lens of cinema. This gave me an excuse to re-watch, and in some cases, for the first time, watch a group of films that (ideally) would help illuminate some key themes related to race, class and gender. Some highlights (and low lights too).
Worth including for the author's "review" of CRASH alone - I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. But seriously, the rest of the blurbs are interesting too, and I really like the overall premise of using multiple films to investigate a particular theme. I was a TA for a Sports Movie class in college and anyone who says movies can't be a teaching tool doesn't know what they're talking about.
Read the full article here

No comments: