Thursday, August 19, 2010

How to Be an Ideas Factory: Loosen Your Grip on Your Creations (BNET)

Years ago, when I would have ideas it used to do my head in, because I was trying to make them work by myself. I thought, “I’ve got to own it 100 percent, so I have to build everything about it.” But as I got older I realized, “No, I’m an ideas person.” I can take an idea through prototype. If it’s a TV series, I can shoot a little bit, give it a great title, and write a draft. Now, I’m not going to try and make that series; I’m going to meet with a company that makes TV shows in that genre. And I’m just going to retain a small amount of ownership, because I want to do other things. Before, I’d get tangled up in the making of the thing. It took six months out of my life. Now we have partnerships.
Personally, I think this is great advice, and while the quote above talks about it on a macro scale, I think it would work just as well on smaller scale things - even every day things. So many people in this industry are afraid to share ideas and get outside feedback, and I think it hurts us all in the long run. Keeping a hold on an idea and its development doesn't mean it has to be with a death grip.
Read the full article here.

No comments: