Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How not having a car became Hollywood shorthand for loser (Slate Magazine)

As the humorist Art Buchwald once observed, "People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him."

This attitude seems to flourish in Hollywood. ... Why does the film industry have such contempt for the carless?
It's true. I am always amazed when I hear that someone doesn't have a car in LA. I was shocked (shocked!) when I found out my neighbors actually use the Metro - to go to Trader Joe's no less! Hop on at the station a block away and hop off at Hollywood & Highland? Never! Must drive. Must pay to park. Must endure sweating through summer with no AC and the silence of a radio that shorts out every few weeks. Hmmm... Who's the loser now?
Read the full article here.

No comments: