Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Twilight: The Franchise That Ate Feminism (The Guardian, UK)

Anyway, Bella's like totally in love with him, and it's this that justifies the sacrifice of her human life. After all, Edward has qualities to die for. His determination to protect Bella's best interests verges on the abusively controlling. In particular, unusually for a well-favoured suitor, he's prepared to contain his carnal urges lest their gratification harm his beloved.

A warm-blooded rival for Bella's affections is available. Like Edward, Jacob the werewolf wants only what's best for her, but he's not as handsome as Edward, so nuts to him. In a climactic argument, the two guys debate what's best for her. As they decide her future she sleeps between them, the epitome of submissive passivity.
I will admit to reading the first book in this trilogy, and since I'm being honest, I will also admit that I didn't love it. Finally, I will admit that if I thought Robert Pattison was even remotely attractive, I may have been convinced to check out at least the first of the films. But I don't, so I didn't. But even after all those personal confessions, I understand it's appeal, and maybe if I were 15 I'd be gaga over the series, but alas, I am not. I wouldn't necessarily have made the connection to feminism that the article makes, but I think it's at least valid enough to consider.
Read the full article here.

No comments: