Wednesday, October 27, 2010

James Cameron: Hollywood's new king of retread cinema (LA Times)

But the bigger story for me is the way so many of our best filmmakers have abandoned--or to hear some of them tell it, been forced to abandon--the pursuit of original film projects.

I wish I could say that I was exaggerating, but I'm not. ... Christopher Nolan is at work on "The Dark Knight Rises." Brad Bird is doing "Mission: Impossible 4." Ridley Scott is coming off a remake of "Robin Hood." Michael Mann is coming off a biopic ("Public Enemies") and a big-screen adaptation of his own 1980s TV series ("Miami Vice"). John Lasseter is at work on "Cars 2." Even the Coen brothers, who have been paragons of originality their entire career, just finished a remake of "True Grit."
I think we all know how I feel about how few movies are based on original (or as yet unmade) stories, but I hadn't really thought about the director-aspect. This kind of reminds me of the flush of big screen actors moving to the small screen - leaving fewer rolls open for lesser known actors and less chance a show will get made without an A-list star. Is it the same thing with film now? It's unlikely a director's going to get their big break with a sequel project if the A-list directors are "forced" to work on them. I'm not sure how yet, but I have a feeling this is going to come back to bite everyone in the ass. What do you think?

Read the full article here.

No comments: