Monday, July 19, 2010

Sony's Amy Pascal: The Movie Theater Is Our Soul; We Just Need Better Films (The Wrap)

We feel like we’re under such a microscope these days. And I think there’s a rush to judgment from all of us. (People said) “‘Robin Hood’ is a disaster.” Robin Hood’s done $300 million. To me that’s a good start. You know, sometimes I get the matinee figures at 9 a.m. on Friday, and I myself am guilty of saying ‘Oh my God, we’re in trouble.’ Five theatres in New York! It’s just not always representative of what’s gonna happen. ...

To be fair to all of us, nobody sets out to make a crappy movie. Nobody says, "Let’s make this one bad." You’re always trying to make it good. Now, sometimes you succeed in making it good, sometimes you really succeed at making it great, and sometimes you massively fail and make a bad movie. ... Which you still have to sell. But it wasn’t as if he thought, "Oh, this one doesn’t have to work."
This interview is quite long, but definitely worth the read. She's saying lots of the things we want to hear, about making better movies, so let's just hope she really means it.
Read the full article here.

No comments: