Tuesday, June 29, 2010

UPDATE: Fox's Tony Sella on 'Knight and Day': 'Blame me, not Tom Cruise' (LA Times)

Apparently Patrick Goldstein has received loads of responses regarding his article below, and he says that "the mail is running about 50-1 against Cruise." I've included one comment below, and you can read the full post here.
Honestly, I saw the ad for the movie and it didn't look bad. However, I don't like Tom Cruise and won't pay one red cent to see another one of his films. When I was sitting in a rowdy theater on the opening night of SATC 2, the audience fell SILENT when Tom Cruise came on the screen. I would have watched this film if it had starred, say, Ralph Macchio or Keanu Reeves. Anyone but Tom Cruise.

Original Post:
It's why Hollywood loves to play the blame game. In a business where there are no infallible filmmakers, where audiences are perpetually fickle, blowing hot and cold over every fresh new actor or hot new trend, the only constant is that our movies are our most enigmatic consumer product of all, their appeal a perpetual mystery.
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak authoritatively on why the film didn't perform, but after reading the article, I'm feeling bummed about the fact that this could easily be leveraged by the studios to justify making even more LCD films (Lowest Common Denominator). And that's not a compliment.
Read the full article here.

No comments: